Monday, June 30, 2008

The Steel Inquisitor

I am trying something totally new. I have a new favorite Author and his name is Brandon Sanderson. I love love love love love love (did I mention love?) his books. He creates some of the best characters I have ever read. So for the first time ever I am going to attempt some "fan art" This is a first on many levels. First -I usually don't do fan art type stuff as most looks like sketches from middle school art class. The one most awesome exception I have seen is Seamas Gallagher and his incredible Wheel of Time characters, literally the best I have ever seen. Also I have never wanted to see a character enough to attempt it. Another first is that I have never drawn a "bad guy" before, I always feel they end up looking too much like a girl drew them, which makes sense as I am a girl. The last first is that while there is some stuff I am pretty good at, the thing I am weak at, and it is embarrassing, is shading. I never seem to be able to push it enough. So this piece will be my attempt at finally doing something well in shading. So since this will be a series of firsts for me I thought I would just post the steps as I worked on it. So here is the initial sketch. I am old school and just use pencil and tracing paper. I know, it is almost as if I still carry a pager, or listen to eight tracks, but nevertheless it works better for me. Oh yea, and this guy is a Steel Inquisitor, major bad guy from the Mistborn Series. I am sure a lot of tweaking will occur as I go along. So wish me luck, and I am always open to suggestions as I go along.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the face. Very eerie. But I imagined that the facial tattoos would be more noticeable. Plus I'd love to see his mist-cloak, or whatever they wore.

Tannie Smith said...

Thanks Robert. In this sketch I had not done the tattoos ye. I did add them later and have posted the completed one. I am not sure if I am happy with them still. I originally had planned on doing a robed version, but to many people liked the shirtless version. I think I might still do both. Thanks for your comments and for checking it out!t

logankstewart said...

I completely agree with you on Sanderson's characters. The Inquisitors were awesome. Your sketch is cool. I like the spikes through the eyes.