Wednesday, May 11, 2011

changes

Some big things have happened lately and one of them is that I have shut down my design studio. After 7 years of tann|design it was time to say good bye. Why you ask? Well things were going really well and I could see my little firm growing and heading somewhere really big. The problem was that it was not what I wanted any longer. I used to want to own my own design firm, I use to want success in the design field, and I achieved it, and was one my way to achieve more. However during that time I also became a mother to two incredible boys.

I realized that they were my new priority and I only had them for a short time. Then I realized that they had no idea that they were my top priority! By all appearances my business was my top priority. I had to ask myself, "do I want to raise two amazing kids that can grow in a loving home and be the best they can be, or do I want to raise a business." The answer was no. No I do not want to raise a business....right now. Who knows what the future holds, but for now my future is my kids. Once they are gone I can start again. I can raise 500 businesses at that time. But I only get one chance to teach and guide these little guys. So I am going to do my best to achieve that by giving them my full attention, because up till now they have only had 50%. When I told the boys what my plans were they both jumped for joy and said "YAAAAAAYYYY!!!!" So already I know I did the right thing. :-)

What does that mean for you? Well that means I should have time to do more personal art work and post on this blog. So below are some things I did recently and one I did a while ago and never shared.


Another change is that I am going to start including watermarks on all of my displayed art. It is not my favorite thing to do as it distracts from the work. However due to the unfortunate dishonesty of some, the rest must suffer. So please do your best to appreciate the work around my name displayed over it.



This is a poster I did that is exactly what the title is, Faith is Simple. I just was thinking about a way to express what faith is and I thought how really it starts in the heart and is simple. Nothing complicated. So the art itself is simple. It is actually a rather large poster and looks pretty dramatic in real life with the red image in a white field.




I made this little guy for one of my sons who wanted a Robot Shirt.


This was an illustration that was published by Texas Coop Magazine. I just never got around to showing it. This was actually the very first art work I ever had published. So it holds a special place in my heart. It is kind of weird I have never posted it before.

More to come!

3 comments:

Becky said...

You do great work! It is admirable that you give it up for your kids. Kids definitely need their mom and we get so many rewards from them anyway! I am excited for your future art posts.

Lei said...

I want a print of the faith one! Love it!!!

Joanna said...

I'm so happy for you. I know a decision like that has to be difficult, but how rewarding the results will be. Proud of you. :)